Started in 1954 at the Gator Bowl with the first rider Joe Kirk Fulton; Texas Tech was voted “the most impressive team entrance” for College Teams. This is largely in part to the pageantry of the Masked Rider sprinting down the middle of the field at the team enters.
Created in 1971 by Saddle Tramp Jim Gaspard; Tryouts are each spring and candidates must be Saddle Tramps or High Riders to qualify for the position.
Started in 1959 by Joe Winegar, the Bell was donated by the Sante Fe Railroad which is rung at the football games during defensive plays and again to celebrate a score and other Tech events. The Saddle Tramps are responsible for Bangin’ Bertha.
This started as a stadium yell at football games but has evolved as the battle cry used by Red Raider fans to demonstrate the presence of fans at events!
For 30 minutes after all Victories in sporting events and also other momentous occasions, the two Victory Bells in the East Tower of the Administration Bldg. are rung to celebrate by the Saddle Tramps and High Riders.
The bells were a gift from the Class 1936. The larger bell weights 900 lbs, the smaller bell weights 300 lbs.
The hand signal started in 1961 by L. Glenn Dippel and his wife Roxie is known Internationally as the symbol that you are a member or support Red Raider Nation.
The Saddle Tramps wrap Will Rogers and Soap Suds on Thursday night before home football games and other big events.
“The Matador Song”, music by Harry Lemaire, words by R.C. Marshall is sung at before and after all sporting events and the conclusion of other ceremonies. The Guns Up! Hand signal is held high during the singing of this song.
“Fight Raiders Fight”, written by Carol McMath is the battle cry for Red Raider Nation.
Started in 1936 by student Arch Lamb to uphold the traditions of Texas Tech University. The Saddle Tramps support Men’s Sports.
Started in 1976 by students Nancy Hughes, Lynn Morris and Kathy Pate to support Women’s Sports.
These are the words used with the Guns Up! hand signal that Red Raider Nation uses to show their pride.
the Pride of the South plains, this band marches over 400 members each year and is the spirit of Red Raider Nation as they play “ Fanfare”, as fans yell “Go-Fight-Win, two-bits, four-bits, six-bits a dollar, all for the Raiders, stand up and holler!”
The Cheerleaders, Coed, All-Girl plus the Pom squad have consistently been award winning since the 1960’s. Most recently the cheer squad is two-time NCA Collegiate Championship. The 80 plus Spirit Squad members have become powerhouse with athletes from over 15 States. Since 1979 the Alumni Cheerleaders cheer at homecoming and offer $10,000 in Leadership Scholarships to squad members each year.
Started in 1976, the pom squad is now a three time National Champion and has many former members cheering/dancing on the sidelines for professional football teams.
Each year the night before the Homecoming game, the Saddle Tramps build a bonfire at Urbanosky Park which is burned after the Pep Rally.
Started in 1959, each Christmas Holiday season, the Resident Halls sponsor this spectacular event where over 25, 000 Christmas lights are strung on thirteen buildings from the
Broadway entrance, around Memorial Circle and the Engineering Key. The Saddle Tramps lead the torch light procession, Christmas Carols are sung and the lights are turned on to illuminate the school.
Designed by William Ward Watkin, in 1924. The Tech Seal's symbols are the lamp, which represents "school," the key for "home," the book for "church," and the star for "state." Cotton bolls represent the area's strong cotton industry and the eagle is suggestive of our country. The seal first appeared on Tech diplomas in 1948, but it wasn't officially approved as "The" Seal of Texas Tech University until 1953. On April 27, 1972, the seal was placed at the Broadway and University entrance to the campus in what became known as the Amon G. Carter Plaza. It is made of red granite and stands 12 feet high. It has been referred to by students through the years as "the Oreo."
The Texas Tech Bell Towers are part of the first building built in 1925, the Administration Building, .
The West Tower: In 1973 Ruth Baird Larabee made a donation to Texas Tech to buy and install a carillon (bells in a tower played with a key board or automatic mechanism) in memory of her parents. The beautiful music of the 36-Bell instrument rings for ceremonies and to celebrate July 4th.
The EAST Tower: This is the main entrance to the Victory Bell Tower. There are 107 Steps up and 106 Steps down. The last and final step is for Victory! There are two bells in the tower, donated by the Class of 1936. The large bell weights 900 lbs and the small bell weights 300 lbs. The Saddle Tramps and High Riders are responsible for ringing the bells after all athletic victories and special occasions. The East Tower was remodeled in 2016 by the Office of Campus Life under the direction of Dr. Juan Munoz. The banners that hang in the tower were designed and donated by Billy R. Smith, Saddle Tramp from 1980-84 in honor of his Saddle Tramp Pledge Class of spring 1980, the Double Dozen Gang (DDG) and his sister Rita Smith, a High Rider from 1980-1985
The memorial was dedicated on February 16, 1950 by a friend of Will Rogers, Amon G. Carter. The statue stands 9’11” tall and weights 3,200. The base of inscription reads “ Loveable Old Will Rogers on his favorite horse “Soupsuds” riding into the Western sunset.” The statue with the horse Soapsuds, is facing 23 degrees to the east so the horse’s posterior is facing the direction of Texas A & M University, a longtime rival.
Located south of the Frazier Alumni Center, the Masked Rider Statue is 1.25 size bronze set on top of a sandstone base. Surrounding the statue are bricks with former Masked Rider names engraved along with the mounts and the year they rode. The statue was dedicated on September 9, 2000.